Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Set up a feed reader, look at Technorati, subscribe to a blog

I set up an account for Google reader - not hard, although a little disappointing, is that all! I subscribed to two blogs which I look at regularly, In a minute ago and Old Saint Nick. In a minute ago is an embroidery blog which has an amazing amount of information with diagrams photos and a lot of shared information. I am not sure about using 'Google reader' often, it's just as easy to Bookmark a blog, although it puts everything in the one place. Like all of these things it depends very much on how much time you want to spend on them.

I then looked at Technorati - a way of searching for posts, blogs, videos and photos. The search for blogs is a bit tricky as it depends on the appropriateness of tags that blog owners use. I found a lot of blogs about Santa Claus but equally as many about Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara etc.

I didn't think the search for 'posts' would be very useful, but tried a search term that I use when looking at databases VOLHYNIA, an area of Europe of interest from a family history point of view. I found a video clip from a town very near our ancestral town, showing the landscape and buildings, far more information than I have ever found using a Google search. I have included one video clip....

No comments: